Erika Berman Rosenzweig, MD
- Professor of Pediatrics (in Medicine) at CUMC
- Director, Pulmonary Hypertension Comprehensive Care Center at Columbia University Medical Center/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Chief, Division of Pediatric Cardiology
- Director, CTEPH-PTE Program at CUMC - NYP
Dr. Erika Berman Rosenzweig, Director of the Pulmonary Hypertension Center at Columbia University Medical Center/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and the CTEPH Program at CUMC, is considered an international expert in the field of pulmonary hypertension. She has tremendous clinical and research experience in the fields of adult and pediatric pulmonary hypertension. Dr. Rosenzweig is widely published and has devoted remarkable efforts toward clinical research on the study of novel treatments and genetic causes of pulmonary hypertension as well as novel approaches to mechanical support for patients with end-stage pulmonary hypertension. She has been an active member of the Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) and is currently on the Board of Trustees of the PHA, Immediate past Chair of the Scientific Leadership Council of the PHA, past Chair of the Review Committee for PHCC PH Center Accreditation Program, and past Editor-in Chief of the medical journal Advances in Pulmonary Hypertension.
Dr. Berman Rosenzweig has extensive experience performing clinical research trials in the field of pulmonary vascular disease, which have been mostly focused on the study of novel medical treatments for pulmonary arterial hypertension and the genomics of pulmonary hypertension. She has spent the past 16 years collaborating on novel drug trials to improve the options available for patients with pulmonary hypertension and has participated in most of the pivotal clinical trials which prompted FDA approval for these agents. She has also collaborated with genetics teams at CUMC and abroad, who have discovered genetic mutations associated with PAH, and was recently one of six US centers awarded a UO1 grant from NHLBI for the study of PVDOMICS, a collaborative study aimed at defining the future fingerprints of pulmonary vascular disease.
Despite the major advances in medical treatment of PH, there is still no medical cure, and patients often die waiting for lung transplantation given the shortage of suitable donor organs. In response to this need, Dr. Berman Rosenzweig has applied her clinical expertise toward research focused on novel approaches to artificial heart-lung support for pulmonary hypertension.
Education & Training
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine CUNY
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Office Phone: 212-305-4436
- Fax: 212-342-1443
Selected Recent Presentations
- Pediatric PH Patients: New Guidelines and Differences from Adult Care. PHA International Conference. Orlando Florida, 6/30/18.
- Update from WSPH Pediatric Task Force on the World Symposium on PH. UCSFs 11th International Conference on Neonatal and Childhood Pulmonary Vascular Disease. San Francisco, CA. 4/19/18.
- Application of ECLS is Not the Preferred Bridge to Lung Transplantation for PAH (CON) Debate. ISHLT, Nice, France, 4/12/18.
- Pediatric Task Force Recommendation Presentation, Chair, WSPH, Nice, France 2/28/28
- Treatment of Pediatric PAH, Barcelona Spain, WCPCCS, (Invited Speaker), 7/20/17
- Can We Have at Least one PAH Drug approved in children? CHEST, Toronto, Canada. 10/1/17
- What can we expect to learn from the NHLBI PVDOMICS initiative, CHEST, Toronto, Canada. 10/1/17.
- Is ECMO BTR Feasible for PAH? The role of Medical Optimization. PENN ECMO symposium, Philadelphia, PA. 5/10/18.
- PHA Pediatric Preceptorship Program: A Collaborative Approach for Pediatric Clinicians on the Front Line, Columbia University Medical Center, (Host, Speaker)11/3/17
- Medical Therapies for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension: Two Decades of Development but still No Medical Cure. Community Lecture, New Jersey, 10/18/17
- Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension: Old and New Treatments. CHOP Pediatric Cardiology Conference. Orlando, Florida. 2/25/17.
- Chair, Doctors Committee, Columbia Children's Board Gala
- Faculty Advisor, Children's Board at Columbia
- Director elect, PPHNet
- Vice-Director, PPHNet
Committees / Societies / Memberships
- Chair, Pediatric Task Force, World Symposium on Pulmonary Hypertension, 2018
- Immediate past Chair, Scientific Leadership Council, PHA, 2018
- Board of Governance, Faculty Practice Organization - Columbia University Medical Center (re-elected 2018-2021)
- Board of Trustees, Pulmonary Hypertension Association
- Past Chair, Review Committee for PH Accreditation Program, PHA
- Past Editor-in-Chief, Advances in Pulmonary Hypertension
- PH Guideline Writing Committee Member, (CHEST, AHA/ATS, World PH Symposium)
Honors & Awards
- Robyn J. Barst - Physician of the Year, O2 Breath Event -PHA
- Graduate, Faculty Leadership Academy
- Periwinkle Pioneer, 2016
- Herbert Pardes Scholar, Columbia University
- Children's Health Research Center Grant Award, NIH
- Hatch Young Cardiovascular Medicine Training Fellowship Research Grant
- Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center House-staff Clinical Trials Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- James Felt Memorial Prize for the medical student with the highest overall performance in the four year medical school curriculum
- Novel treatments of pulmonary hypertension
- OMICS of pulmonary hypertension
- Mechanical support - Artificial lung - ECMO and pulmonary hypertension
THE ROAD TO DESTINATION THERAPY: OPTIMIZING LONG-TERM MECHANICAL CARDIOPULMONARY SUPPORT FORPULMONARY HYPERTENSION (Federal Gov)
Aug 15 2018 - Jun 30 2022
PVDOMICS DEFINING THE FUTURE FINGERPRINTS OF PULMONARY VASCULAR DISEASE (Federal Gov)
Sep 17 2014 - Jul 31 2020
A DOUBLE BLIND EFFICACY AND SAFETY STUDY OF THE PHOSPHODIESTERASE TYPE 5 INHIBITOR TADALAFIL IN PEDIATRIC PATIENTS WITH PULMNARY ARTERIAL HYPERTENTION (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Mar 12 2014 - Mar 12 2019
SYMPHONY: A STUDY OF MACITENTAN IN PULMONARY ARTERIAL HYPERTENSION TO VALIDATE THE PAH-SYMPACT (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Feb 11 2014 - Feb 11 2019
A MULTI-CENTER, DOUBLE-BLIND, RANDOMIZED, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED, PARALLEL-GROUP, PHASE 3 STUDY TO EVALUATE THE EFFECTS OF MACITENTAN ON EXERCISE CAPACITY IN SUBJECTS WITH EISENMENGER SYNDROME (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Oct 7 2013 - Oct 7 2018
LONG TERM, SINGLE-ARM, OPEN-LABEL EXTENSION STUDY OF PROTOCOL AC-055-305 TO ASSESS THE SAFETY, TOLERABILITY AND EFFICACY OF MACITENTAN IN SUBJECTS WITH EISENMENGER SYNDROME (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Oct 7 2013 - Oct 7 2018
PPHNET BIOSPECIMEN LABORATORY DEPOT (Private)
Feb 20 2018 - Sep 30 2018
AN OPEN-LABEL PHASE IIIB STUDY OF RIOCIGUAT IN PATIENTS WITH IN-OPERABLE CTEPH, OR RECURRENT OR PERSISTING PH AFTER SURGICAL TREATMENT WHO ARE NOT SATISFACTORILY TREATED AND CANNOT PARTICIPATE IN ANY OTHER CTEPH TRIAL (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Aug 15 2013 - Aug 15 2018
DATA FUSION: A SUSTAINABLE SCALABLE, OPEN SOURCE REGISTRY ADVANCING PVD RESEARCH (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2014 - Apr 30 2018
QUALITY ENHANCEMENT RESEARCH INITIATIVE (QUERI) - ES QUERI - AAAK3402 (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jan 24 2013 - Jan 31 2018
TRACKING OUTCOMES AND PRACTICE IN PEDIATRIC PULMONARY HYPERTENSION (Private)
Aug 24 2016 - Aug 23 2017
PULMONARY VASCULAR DISEASE PHENOMIC PROGRAM (PVDOMICS)DATA COORDINATING (Federal Gov)
Aug 1 2016 - Jul 31 2017
NATIONAL BIOLOGICAL SAMPLE AND DATA REPOSITORY FOR PAH (Federal Gov)
Mar 3 2012 - Feb 28 2017
FUTURE 3EXT AAAI1843 (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Aug 2 2011 - Aug 2 2016
IDENTIFICATION OF NOVEL GENES FOR CONGENITAL DIAPHRAGMATIC HERNIA (Federal Gov)
Sep 29 2008 - Jun 30 2014
A POSTMARKETING OBSERVATIONAL STUDY TO ASSESS RESPIRATORY TRACT ADVERSE EVENTS IN PULMONARY ARTERIAL HYPERTENSION PATIENTS TREATED WITH TYVASO (TREPROSTINIL) INHALATION SOLUTION (Private)
Mar 11 2011 - Mar 10 2014
DRUG REGISTRY TO PROSPECTIVELY DESCRIBE USE OF ROOM TEMPERATURE STABLE EPOPROSTENOL FOR INJECTION IN PATIENTS WITH PULMONARY ARTERIAL HYPERTENSION (Private)
Nov 10 2011 - Jun 30 2013
CLINICAL SITE FOR PHASE II/III TRIAL OF SILDENAFIL (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2006 - Jun 30 2010
NCT01908699 A Multicenter, Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Phase 3 Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Oral BPS-314d-MR added-on to Treprostinil, Inhaled (Tyvaso®) in Subjects With Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension - This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants.
NCT02835950 TReatment of Pulmonary HYpertension 1-US Study (TROPHY 1-US) - This study is ongoing and recruiting patients
NCT02980887 Pulmonary Vascular Disease Phenomics Program (PVDOMICS) - This study is ongoing and recruting patients
NCT02249923 Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Network (PPHNet) Informatics Registry (PPHNet) - This study is ongoing and recruiting patients
NCT02429284 U.S. CTEPH Registry - This study is ongoing and recruiting patients
- Zhu N, Welch CL, Wang J, Allen PM, Gonzaga-Jauregui C, Ma L, King AK, Krishnan U, Rosenzweig EB, Ivy DD, Austin ED, Hamid R, Pauciulo MW, Lutz KA, Nichols WC, Reid JG, Overton JD, Baras A, Dewey FE, Shen Y, Chung WK. Rare variants in SOX17 are associated with pulmonary arterial hypertension with congenital heart disease. Genome Med. 2018 Jul 20;10(1):56. PMID: 30029678.
- Zhu N, Gonzaga-Jauregui C, Welsh CL, Ma L, Qi H, King AK, Krishnan U, Rosenzweig EB, Ivy DD, Austin ED, Hamid R, Nichols WC, Pauciulo MW, Lutz KA, Sawle A, Reid JG, Overton JD, Baras A, Dewey F, Shen Y, Chung WK. Exome Sequencing in Children with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension demonstrates differences compared with Adults. Circ Genom Prec Med. 2018.
- Chicotka S, Pedroso FE, Agerstrand CL, Rosenzweig EB, Abrams D, Benson T, Layton A, Burkoff D, Brodie D, Bacchetta MD. Increased Opportunity for Lung Transplantation in Interstitial Lung Disease with Pulmonary Hypertension. Ann Thorac Surg 2018.
- Position Paper for the Organization of ECMO for cardiac failure in adults. 2018Abrams D, Garan AR, Abdelbary A, Bacchetta M, Bartlett RH, Beck J, Belohlavek J, Chen YS, Fan E, Ferguson ND, Fowles JA, Fraser J, Gong M, Hassan IF, Hodgson C, Hou X, Hryniewicz K, Ichiba S, Jakobleff WA, Lorusso R, MacLaren G, McGuinness S, Mueller T, Park PK, Peek G, Pellegrino V, Price S, Rosenzweig EB, Sakamoto T, Salazar L, Schmidt M, Slutsky AS, Spaulding C, Takayama H, Takeda K, Vuylsteke A, Combes A, Brodie D; International ECMO Network (ECMONet) and The Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO). Intensive Care Med. 2018 Feb 15.
- Elinoff JM, Agarwal R, Barnett CF,Benza RL, Cuttica MJ, Gharib AM, Gray MP, Hassoun, PM, Hemnes AR, Humbert M, Kolb TM, Lahm T, Leopold JA, Mathai SC, McLaughlin VV, Preston IR, Rosenzweig EB, Sholbin OA, Steen VD, Zamanian RT, Solomon MA.Challenges in Pulmonary Hypertension: Controversies in Treating the Tip of the Iceberg. Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 2018.
- Hemnes AR, Beck GJ, Newman JH, Abidov A, Aldred MA, Barnard J, Berman Rosenzweig E, Borlaug BA, Chung WK, Comhair SAA, Erzurum SC, Frantz RP, Gray MP, Grunig G, Hassoun PM, Hill NS, Horn EM, Hu B, Lempel JK, Maron BA, Mathai SC, Olman MA, Rischard FP, Systrom DM, Tang WHW, Waxman AB, Xiao L, Yuan JX, Leopold JA; PVDOMICS Study Group. PVDOMICS: A Multi-Center Study to Improve Understanding of Pulmonary Vascular Disease Through Phenomics. Circ Res. 2017 Oct 27;121(10):1136-1139.
- Tingo J, Rosenzweig EB, Lobritto S, KrishnanUS. Portopulmonary hypertension in children: a rare but potentially lethal and under-recognized disease. Pulm Circ 2017.
- Salna M, van Boxtel B, Rosenzweig EB, Bacchetta M. Modified Potts Shunt in an Adult with Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017 Apr;14(4):607-609.
- Chiu JS, Ma L, Wynn J, Krishnan U, Rosenzweig EB, Aspelund G, Arkovitz M, Warner BW, Lim FY, Mychaliska GB, Azarow K, Cusick RA, Chung DH, Chung WK. Mutations in BMPR2 are not present in patients with pulmonary hypertension associated with congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 2017. Pii: S0022-3468(17)30039-8. [epub ahead of print]
- Han B, Copeland CA, Kawano Y, Rosenzweig EB, Austin ED, Shahmirzadi L, Tang S, Raghunathan K, Chung WK, Kenworthy AK. Characterization of a caveolin-1 mutation associated with both pulmonary arterial hypertension and congenital generalized lipodystrophy. Traffic. 2016;17(12):1297-1312.
- Zamanian RT, Levine DJ, Bourge RC, DeSouza SA, Rosenzweig EB, Alnuaimat H, Burger C, Mathai SC, Leedom N, DeAngelis K, Lim A, De Marco T. An Observational Study of Inhaled Treprostinil Respiratory-related safety in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Pulmonary Circulation, 2016;6(3): 329-37.
- Chicotka S, Rosenzweig EB, Brodie D, Bacchetta M. The “Central Sport Model”: Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Using the Innominate Artery for Smaller Patients as Bridge to Lung Transplantation. ASAIO, August, 2016. (online first; in press)
- Zijlstra WMH, Douwes JM, Ploegstra MJ, Krishnan U, Roofthooft M, Hillege, HL, Dunbar DI, Rosenzweig EB, and Berger RM. Clinical classification in pediatric pulmonary arterial hypertension associated with heart disease. Pulm Circ. 2016 Sep;6(3):302-12.
- Agerstrand C, Abrams D, Biscotti M, Moroz L, Rosenzweig EB, D'Alton M, Brodie D, Bacchetta M. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Cardiopulmonary Failure During Pregnancy and Postpartum. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Sep;102(3):774-9.
- Grunig G, Baghdassarian A, Park SH, Pylawka S, Bleck B, Reibman J, Berman-Rosenzweig E, Durmus N. Challenges and Current Efforts in the Development of Biomarkers for Chronic Inflammatory and Remodeling Conditions of the Lungs. Biomark Insights. 2016 Feb 16;10(Suppl 4):59-72.
- Berger RM, Haworth SG, Bonnet D, Dulac Y, Fraisse A, Galiè N, Ivy DD, Jaïs X, Miera O, Rosenzweig EB, Efficace M, Kusic-Pajic A, Beghetti M. FUTURE-2: Results from an open-label, long-term safety and tolerability extension study using the pediatric FormUlation of bosenTan in pUlmonary arterial hypeRtEnsion. Int J Cardiol. 2016 Jan 1;202:52-8.
- Gomberg-Maitland M, Rosenzweig EB. Using Registries to Understand Clinical Practice: A Lesson for Rare Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016 Mar 22;67(11):1324-6.
- Ploegstra W, Beghetti M, Rosenzweig EB. Berger R., Ivy D. Growth in children with pulmonary arterial hypertension: a longitudinal multi-registry study. Lancet Respir Med. 2016 Apr;4(4):281-90.
- Fuentes D, Rosenzweig EB, Garofano B. et al. "Predicting VO2 peak from Six Minute Walk Test in Patients with Pulmonary Hypertension. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2016 May-Jun;36(3):203-8.
- Evans JD, Girerd B, Montani D, Wang XJ, Galiè N, Austin ED, Elliott G, Asano K, Grünig E, Yan Y, Jing ZC, Manes A, Palazzini M, Wheeler LA, Nakayama I, Satoh T, Eichstaedt C, Hinderhofer K, Wolf M, Rosenzweig EB, Chung WK, Soubrier F, Simonneau G, Sitbon O, Gräf S, Kaptoge S, Di Angelantonio E, Humbert M, Morrell NW.BMPR2 mutations and survival in pulmonary arterial hypertension: an individual participant data meta-analysis.Lancet Respir Med. 2016 Feb;4(2):129-37.
Guideline Writing Committees
Guideline Committee Member, CHEST. American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST) Guidelines for the pharmacologic management of adult pulmonary hypertension (2017-2018)
Guideline Committee Member, of AHA/ATS Assembly Project and Writing Group to establish evidence-based clinical guidelines for the Treatment of Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension. (2010-2015)
Guideline Writing Committee American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP) Adult Pulmonary Hypertension guidelines (2012-2014)
Member of the Pulmonary Hypertension Pediatric Task force and Guideline Writing Committee. 5th World Symposium on Pulmonary Hypertension, Nice, France 2013 (invited member) (2012-2013)
Guideline Committee Member, ATS Assembly Project to establish evidence-based clinical guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension in Sickle Cell Disease (2009-2011)
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov