Larry L. Schulman, MD
- Professor of Medicine at CUMC
Larry L. Schulman, M.D., is Professor of Clinical Medicine at Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, and Attending Physician, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in the City of New York. He is also Medical Director of Quality Assurance, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
He received his B.A. from Cornell University, and M.D. from State University of New York, Downstate. He trained in Internal Medicine and Pulmonary Medicine at Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons. He is board certified from the American Board of Internal Medicine and the Subspecialty Board of Pulmonary Medicine. Honors include Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Distinction in all subjects (Cornell University); Alpha Omega Alpha, Cum Laude (SUNY-Downstate) Winthrop-Breon/American College of Chest Physicians, Young Scholar Award; Parker B. Francis, Research Fellowship of the Puritan-Bennett Foundation; William H. Dock Master Teacher Award.
Professional interests include general lung disease, asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, cough, pneumonia, lung cancer, pulmonary fibrosis, and lung transplantation.
Education & Training
- State University of New York - Downstate Health Sciences Center
- Internship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Residency: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Mount Sinai Hospital
Honors & Awards
- 1974 Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Distinction in all subjects, Cornell University
- 1978 Alpha Omega Alpha, Cum Laude, SUNY-Downstate
- 1987 Winthrop-Breon/American College of Chest Physicians, Young Scholar Award
- 1983-1986 Parker B. Francis, Research Fellowship of the Puritan-Bennett Foundation
- 2003 William H. Dock Master Teacher Award
- Garfein ES, McGregor CC, Galantowicz ME, Schulman LL. Deleterious effects of telescoped bronchial anastomosis in single and bilateral lung transplantation. Ann Transplant 2000,5:5-11.
- Schulman LL, Htun T, Staniloae C, McGregor C, Austin JHM. Pulmonary nodules and masses after lung and heart-lung transplantation. J Thorac Imaging 2000,15: 173-179.
- Schulman LL, Weinberg, AD,. McGregor CC, Galantowicz ME, Smith CR. Influence of lung injury on early postoperative survival after lung transplantation. Ann Transplant 2000,5:20-25.
- Garfein ES, Ginsberg M, Gorenstein L, McGregor CC, Schulman LL. Superiority of end-to-end telescoped bronchial anastomosis in single lung transplantation for pulmonary emphysema. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2001 121: 149-154.
- Schulman LL, Weinberg AD, McGregor C, Suciu-Foca N,ltescu S. Influence of donor and recipient HLA locus mismatching on development of obliterative bronchiolitis after lung transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001, 163:437442.
- Imai K, Dalal SS, Chen ES, Downey R, Schulman LL, Ginsburg M, D'Armiento J. Human collagenase (matrix metalloproteinase-I) expression in the lungs of patients with emphysema. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001, 163:786-791.
- Schulman LL. Anandarangam T, Leibowitz OW, DiTullio, MR, McGregor CC, Galantowicz ME, Homma S. Four-year prospective study of pulmonary venous thrombosis after lung transplantation. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2001,14:806-812.
- Talbot SM, Taub RN, Keohan ML, Edwards N, Galantowicz ME, Schulman LL. Combined heart and lung transplantation for unresectable primary cardiac sarcomas. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2002, 124: 1145-1148.
- Irnai K, Mercer BA, Schulman LL, Sonett JR. D'Armiento JM. Correlation of lung surface area to apoptosis and proliferation in human emphysema. Eur Respir J. 2005, 25(2):250-258.
- Maurer MS, Raina A, Hesdorffer C, Bijou R. Colombo P, Deng M. Drusin R, Haythe J. Horn E. Lee SH. Marboe C. Naka Y, Schulman L. Scully B, Shapiro P, Prager K, Radhakrishnan J, Restaino S. Mancini D. Transplantation using extended-donor criteria organs for systemic amyloidosis complicated by heart failure. Transplantation 2007. 15;83(5):539-4.