Mark A. Hardy, MD
- Auchincloss Professor of Surgery
- Director Emeritus and Founder, Renal and Islet Transplantation NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY and Surgeon, Abdominal Organ Transplantation and Islets
Mark Hardy, MD, attended medical school at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City. He trained in surgery at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, and thereafter returned to New York City where he founded the Transplant Program at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center. He is the Founding Director and Past President of the New York Organ Donor Network, and was a founding member of the American Society of Transplant Surgeons.
Education & Training
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
- Internship: Strong Memorial Hospital
- Residency: Bronx Municipal Hospital Center
- Fellowship: Boston City Hospital
- Office Phone: 212 305 5502
- Vice Chair, Medical Education and Employee Training, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, 1998-2008
- Director, Surgical Residency Program, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, 1998-2008
- Director, Renal & Islet Transplantation, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, 1998-2004
- Director of Transplantation-Dialysis, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, 1975-1987
- Associate Attending Surgeon, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, 1975-1980
- Visiting Attending and Consultant in Surgery, Hospital of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Municipal Hospital Center, Lincoln Hospital, Bronx, NY, 1975-1977
- Associate Attending in Surgery, Hospital of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, Lincoln Hospital, Bronx, NY, 1974-1975
- Director of Transplantation, Hospital of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, Lincoln Hospital, Bronx, NY, 1972-1975
- Assistant Attending in Surgery, Hospital of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, Lincoln Hospital, Bronx, NY, 1971-1974
- International Transplantation Society - August, 2010, Vancouver, Canada
- American Congress of Transplantation - April, 2010, California
- International Conference on Tolerance (Shustru Prize in Immunobiology) -- February, 2010, Amhedabad, India
- European Society of Surgical Research (ESSR)-May, 2008 Warsaw, Poland - May, 2009 Nantes, France - May, 2010 Geneva, Switzerland
- American Congress of Transplanattion - May, 2009, Boston, MA
- American Congress of Transplanattion - May, 2008, Wasnington, DC
Committees / Societies / Memberships
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association for Cancer Education
- American Association of Immunologists
- American Association of Tissue Banks
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Artificial Internal Organs
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons (Founding)
- American Surgical Association
- American Trauma Society (Founding)
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Cell Transplant Society (Founding)
- International Society for Heart Transplantation (Founding)
- New York Transplantation Society (Founding)
- Pancreas & Islet Transplant Society (Founding)
- UNOS (Founding)
Global Health Activities
- 2009 November: India -- Lady Widemore Mission Hospital, November, 2009, Manali, 4 weeks.
- 2010 September: Ethiopia -- Korean Mission Hospital, September 2010, Addis Ababa, 4 weeks.
Honors & Awards
- Honorary Doctor of Philosophy, U. of Hallym, South Korea, 2004
- AOA, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, 2003
- Man of the Year-TRIO, 2000
- Honoris Causa Doctoris, University of Warsaw, 2000
- Honorary Member of Polish Surgical Society, 1999
- NIH Academic Scholar in Surgery, 1968-1971
- Transplant tolerance induction, pancreatic islet transplantation to cure diabetes, hepatocyte transplantation for liver disease, experimental clinical studies of immunosuppressive drugs.
TACROLIMUS CONCENTRATION/DOSE RATIO ? COMPARISONS ON RENAL FUNCTION BETWEEN ENVARSUS AND PROGRAF (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jul 6 2018 - Jul 6 2023
A PHASE 2A, RANDOMIZED, OPEN-LABEL, ACTIVE CONTROL, MULTI-CENTER STUDY TO ASSESS THE EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF BLESELUMAB IN PREVENTING THE RECURRENCE OF FOCAL SEGMENTAL GLOMERULOSCLEROSIS IN DE NOVO KIDNEY TRANSPLANT RECIPIENTS (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Apr 9 2018 - Apr 9 2023
POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING IN CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2016 - Jun 30 2021
A RANDOMIZED CLINICAL TRIAL OF EFFICACY AND SAFETY ON THE USE OF BELATACEPT AS COMPARED TO TACROLIMUS IN THE SETTING OF RABBIT ANTITHYMOCYTE GLOBULIN INDUCTION AND RAPID STEROID DISCONTINUATION IN DECEASED DONOR RENAL TRANSPLANT RECIPIENTS (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jan 15 2014 - Jan 15 2019
ESTABLISHMENT OF NY REGIONAL ISLET ISOLATION FACILITY (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2001 - Aug 31 2006
- Hardy MA, Witkowski P, Sondermeijer H, Harris P. The long road to pancreatic islet transplantation.World J Surg. 2010 Apr;34(4):625-7. PMID: 19830482.
- CITR Research Group. 2007 update on allogeneic islet transplantation from the Collaborative Islet Transplant Registry (CITR). Cell Transplant. 2009;18(7):753 67. Epub 2009 Sep 28.PMID: 19796497.
- Gomes LJ, Goldstein MJ, Hardy MA. The use of inferior epigastric artery in renal transplantation. Transplantation. 2009 Sep 15;88(5):748-9. No abstract available. PMID: 19741476.
- Doft MA, Widmann WD, Hardy MA. Under a microscope: julius h. Jacobson, MD (1927- ). J Surg Educ. 2008 Jul-; 65(4)316-9.
- Rana A, Robles S, Russo MJ, Halazun KJ, Woodland DC, Witkowski P, Ratner LE, Hardy MA. The combined organ effect: protection against rejection? Ann Surg. 2008 Nov;248(5):871-9.
- Guarrera JV, Arrington B, Birkhoff JD, Goldstein MJ, Ratner LE, Kelly JA, Radhakrishnan J, Hardy MA. Nephrology image. Back-bench split of a deceased-donor horseshoe kidney for two transplant recipients. Kidney Int. 2009 Nov;76(9):1012. No abstract available. PMID: 19829314
- Halazun KJ, Hardy MA, Rana AA, Woodland DC 4th, Luyten EJ, Mahadev S, Witkowski P, Siegel AB, Brown RS Jr, Emond JC. Negative impact of neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio on outcome after liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Surg. 2009 Jul;250(1):141-51.PMID: 19561458
- Russo MJ, Rana A, Chen JM, Hong KN, Gelijns A, Moskowitz A, Widmann WD, Ratner L, Naka Y, Hardy MA. Pretransplantation patient characteristics and survival following combined heart and kidney transplantation: an analysis of the United Network for Organ Sharing Database. Arch Surg. 2009 Mar;144(3):241-6.PMID: 19289663
- Chan L, Greenstein S, Hardy MA, Hartmann E, Bunnapradist S, Cibrik D, Shaw LM, Munir L, Ulbricht B, Cooper M; CRADUS09 Study Group. Multicente, randomized study of the use of everolimus with tacrolimus after renal transplantation demonstrates its effectiveness. Transplantation. 2008 Mar 27;85(6):821-6
- Vlad G, D'Agati VD, Zhang QY, Liu Z, Ho EK, Mohanakumar T, Hardy MA, Cortesini R, Suciu-Foca N. Immunoglobulin-like transcript 3-Fc suppresses T-cell responses to allogeneic human islet transplant in hu-NOD/SCID mice. Diabetes. 2008 Jul; 57(7):1878-86.Epub 2008 Apr 16.
- Hogle NJ, Widmann WD, Ude AO, Hardy MA, Fowler DL. Does training novices to criteria and does rapid acquisition of skills on laparoscopic simulators have predictive validity or are we just playing video games? J Surg Educ. 2008 Nov-Dec; 65(6):431-5.
- Raffo A, Hancock K, Polito T, Xie Y, Andan G, Witkowski P, Hardy M, Barba P, Ferrara C, Maffei A, Freeby M, Goland R, Leibel RL, Sweet IR, Harris PE. Role of vesicular monoamine transporter type2 in rodent insulin secretion and glucose metabolism revealed by its specific antagonist tetrabenazine. J Endocrinol. 2008 Jul; 198(1):41-9.
- Alejandro R, Barton FB, Hering BJ, Wease S; Collaborative Islet Transplant Registry Investigators. 2008 Update from the Collaborative Islet Transplant Registry. Transplantation. 2008 Dec 27;86(12):1783-8.PMID: 19104422
- Liu J, Liu Z, Witkowski P, Vlad G, Manavalan JS, Scotto L, Kim-Schulze S, Cortesini R, Hardy MA, Suciu-Foca N.Rat CD8(+) FOXP3(+) T suppressor cells mediate tolerance to allogeneic heart transplants, inducing PIR-B in APC and rendering the graft invulnerable to rejection. Transpl Immunol. 2004 Dec;13(4):239-47.
- Goldstein MJ, Kim E, Widmann WD, Hardy MA. A 360 Evaluation of a Night-float System for General Surgery: A Response to Mandated Work-hours Reduction. Current Surgery. 61(5):445-451.
- Hardy MA, Oluwole OO, Depaz HA, Gopinathan R, Ali AO, Garrovillo M and Oluwole SF. The Use of Allopeptides in Tolerance Induction In Rodents. Graft, 2003.
- Oluwole SF, Oluwole OO, DePaz HA, Adeyeri AO, Witkowski P, Hardy MA, CD4+CD25+regulatory T cells mediate acquired transplant tolerance. Transplant Immunology. 11(3-4):287-93, 2003.
- Liu EH, D’Alessandro DA, Hardy MA, Ethical issues in living renal donation. Transplantation Proceedings 35(3):1174-6, 2003.
- Marvin MR, Droogan C, Sawinski D, Cohen DJ and Hardy MA: Administration of rabbit antithymocyte globulin (thymoglobulin) in ambulatory renal-transplant patients. Transplantation 75:488-9, 2003.
- Jin M, Engelstad K, Oluwole SF and Hardy MA: Induction of stable chimerism and transplantation tolerance to rat islet and heart allografts by UV-B modulation of bone marrow cells. Transplantation 54:113-118, 1992.
- Hardy MA, Suciu-Foca N, Reed E, Benvenisty AI, Smith C, Rose E, and Reemtsma K:Immunomodulation of kidney and heart transplants by anti-idiotypic antibodies. Annals of Surgery 214:522-530, 1991.
- Hardy MA and Oluwole SF:Effect of ultraviolet radiation on immunogenicity of tissues and organ allografts. Transplant. Rev. 5:46-62, 1991.
- Marin ML, Gordon RE, Hardy MA, Reemtsma K and Benvenisty AI:Immunomodulation of vascular endothelium:I.Ultrastructural changes following ultraviolet B irradiation of peripheral veins. J. surg. Res. 48:134-143, 1990.
- Cohen DJ, Benvenisty AI and Hardy MA: OKT3 prophylaxis in cadaveric kidney transplant recipients with delayed graft function. Amer. J. Kid. Diseases 16:19-27, 1989.
- Oluwole SF, Engelstad K and Hardy MA: Cellular immunity in allograft rejection:Role of lymphocyte subpopulations and T-cell subsets in rat cardiac allograft rejection. Cellular Immmunology 124:28-37, 1989.
- Reed E, Hardy M, Benvenisty A, Lattes C, Brensilver J, McCabe R, Reemtsma K, King SW and Suciu-Foca N:Effect of antiidiotypic antibodies to HLA on graft survival in renal allograft recipients. N. Eng. J. Med. 316:1450-1455, 1987.
- Reemtsma K, Hardy MA, Drusin RE, Smith CR and Rose EA:Cardiac transplantation:Changing patterns in evaluation and treatment. Ann. Of Surg. 202:418-424, 1985.
- Hardy MA, Lau H, Weber C and Reemtsma K: Pancreatic islet transplantation:Induction of graft acceptance by ultraviolet irradiation of donor tisue. Annals of Surgery 200:441-450, 1984.
- Lau H, Reemtsma K and Hardy MA: Pancreatic islet allograft prolongation with donor-specific blood transfusions treated with ultraviolet irradiation. Science 221:754-756, 1983.
- Hardy MA: Beneficial effects of heterologous antilymphoid globulins in renal transplantation:One “believer’s view”. Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2:79-86, 1982.
- Hardy MA, Nowygrod R, Elberg A and Appel G: Use of ATG in treatment of "steroid-resistant" rejection. Transplantation 29:161-164,1980.
- Hardy MA, Fawwaz R, Oluwole S, Todd G, Nowygrod R and Reemtsma K: Selective lymphoid irradiation: An approach to transplantation. Surgery 86:194-202, 1979.
- Hardy MA, Schneider K and Levitt SB: An improved technique for the construction of internal arteriovenous fistulae in uremic children. J. Ped. Surg. 9:465-466, 1974.
- Loss, Grief & Care, M.A. Hardy, J. Kiernan, A.H. Kutscher, L. Cahill and A. Benvenisty (eds.), The Haworth Press, Inc., New York, 1991.
- Xenograft 25, M.A. Hardy (ed.), Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsteram 1989.
- Transplantation of the Endocrine Pancreas in Diabetes Mellitus, R. van Schilfgaarde, M.A. Hardy (eds.), Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam 1988.
- Greenfeld JI, and Hardy MA: Problems of reperfusion injury in organ transplants:The kidney. In:Reperfusion Injuries in Clinical Capillary Leak Syndrome, Zikria BA, Oz MO, and Carlson RW (eds) Armonk, N.Y.: Pupura Publishing Company, pp 293-312, 1994.
- Oluwole SF and Hardy MA: Immunomodulation of UVB Irradiation: Induction of immunologic unresponsiveness to islet grafts in adult animals in “Pancreatic Islet Cell Transplantation”; ed. C. Ricordi; Published by RG Landes Co., Austin, Texas, 1992, pp 158-167.
- Hardy MA and Chabot J:Alteration of pancreatic islets immunogenicity using ultraviolet irradiation. In: Transplantation of the Endocrine Pancreas in Diabetes Mellitus, R. van Schilfgaarde, M.A. Hardy (eds.), Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam, 1988, pp.301-307.
- Benvenisty AI and Hardy MA: Selected complications on renal transplantation. In:Organ Transplantation and Replacement, J. Cerilli (ed.), 1988, pp. 462-470.
- Fawwaz R, Oluwole S, Wang TS and Hardy MA: Immunosuppression nd induction of tolerance by radiolabeled porphyrin irradiation. In:Radionuclides in Therapy, R. Spencer, et al. (eds.), CRC, Boca Raton, FL, 1987, pp. 167-181.