Paul J. Gaglio, MD, FACP
- Professor of Medicine (in Surgery) at CUMC
- Director, Hepatology Outreach
Paul J. Gaglio, MD FACP, AGAF, FAASLD is the newly appointed director of Hepatology Outreach at NY-Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia University Medical Center. He is the former medical director of Adult Liver Transplantation at The Montefiore Medical Center. Dr Gaglio received his bachelor’s in Biology/Physiology from Rutgers College in New Brunswick, NJ, and his M.D. from UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School. He completed an internship and residency at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City, and a digestive disease/liver transplantation fellowship at New Jersey Medical School. Dr. Gaglio has published multiple manuscripts, book chapters, and abstracts, and has participated in numerous research trials related to the therapy of hepatitis B and C, liver transplantation, and treatment of liver failure. Dr. Gaglio has lectured nationally and internationally on these topics. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, the American Gastroenterological Association, and the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. His research interests include treatment of hepatitis B and C, the natural history of hepatitis C in liver transplant recipients, and non alcoholic fatty liver disease.
Education & Training
- UMDNJ - New Jersey School of Medicine
- Internship: Mount Sinai Hospital
- Residency: Mount Sinai Hospital
- Fellowship: UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Professor of Medicine, Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation, 2015-Present
- NY-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, Director of Hepatology Outreach, 2015-Present
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore-Einstein Liver Center, Professor of Clinical Medicine, Medical Director: Adult Liver Transplantation-Montefiore Medical Ctr., Primary Liver Transplantation Physician - Montefiore Medical Ctr., 2007-Present
- Columbia University Collegeo of Physicians and Surgeons, Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine (in Surgery), Associate Medical Director: Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation, Medical Director: Adult Liver Transplantation, 2001-2007
- Tulane University Medical School, Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine and Digestive Diseases: Director-Academic Hepatology, Medical Co-Director, Liver Transplantation, Faculty: Molecular and Cellural Biology Program, 1996-2001
- UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Assistant Professor of Medicine and Digestive Diseases, 1993-1996
Committees / Societies / Memberships
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- European Association for the Study of the Liver
- American Society of Transplantation
- American Liver Foundation
- American Gastroenterology Association
- International Liver Transplantation Society
- International Hepatitis Society
- American College of Physicians
Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa 1984
- Alpha Omega Alpha 1988
- Fellow American College of Physicians 2001
- Fellow American Gastroenterological Association 2008
- Fellow American Association for the Study of Liver Disease 2014
- “Best Doctors® in America” 2009-2015
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors; New York Metro Area 2012-2015
- Physician of the Year, New York Chapter, American Liver Foundation 2011
• Krane NK, Gaglio PJ Viral Hepatitis as a cause of Renal Disease S Med Journal 1999;92:353-360
• Gaglio PJ, Dash S, Liu HJ, Cheng S, Dunne B, Baskin G, Bohm R, Blanchard J. Partial hepatectomy and laparoscopic-guided liver biopsy in rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta): novel approach for study of liver regeneration. Comparative Medicine 2000;50:363-368
• Gaglio PJ, Baskin G, Raterree M, Blanchard J, Cheng S, Dunne B, Liu H, Dash S, Theise N, LaBrecque D. Liver Regeneration Investigated in a non-human primate model J Hepatol. 2002;37:625-32.
• Gaglio PJ, Malireddy S, Levitt BS, Russo MW, Lapointe-Rudow D, Kinkhabwala M , Lefkowitch J, Emond JC, and Brown RS., Jr. Increased Risk of Cholestatic Hepatitis C in Recipients of Grafts from Living versus Cadaveric Donors Liver Transpl. 2003;9:1028-35.
• Gaglio PJ, Brown RS, Scope of Worldwide Hepatitis C Problem Liver Transpl 2003;9:S10-13
• Gaglio PJ, Rodriguez-Torres M, Herring R, Anand B, Box T, Rabinovitz M, Brown RS; Infergen Study Group. Racial differences in response rates to consensus interferon in HCV infected patients naive to previous therapy. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004;38:599-604.
• Gaglio PJ, Brown RS. Who should treat the liver transplant patients? The transplant physician, the hepatologist, or the gastroenterologist? Viewpoint: A specialized Transplant Hepatologist provides optimal management of Liver Transplant Patients. J of Hepatology 2006;44:655-657
• Gaglio, PJ Richard Sterling, Eric Daniels, Ellen Tedaldi Hepatitis B-HIV Co-infection: Results of a Survey on Treatment Practices and Recommendations for Therapy Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45:618-23
• Gaglio PJ, Singh S, Degertekin B, Ishitani M, Hussain M, Perrillo R, Lok AS, and the NIH HBV OLT Study Group Impact of the HBV Genotype on Pre- and Post- Liver Transplantation Outcomes Liver Transpl. 2008;14:1420-7.
• Verna EC, De Martin E, Burra P, Neri D, Gaglio PJ, Emond JC, Brown Jr R The Impact of Hepatitis C and Biliary Complications on Patient and Graft Survival Following Liver Transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2009;6:1398-1405
• Feuerstadt P, Bunim AL, Garcia H, Karlitz JJ, Massoumi H, Thosani AJ, Pellecchia A, Wolkoff AW, Gaglio PJ, Reinus JF .Effectiveness of hepatitis C treatment with pegylated interferon and ribavirin in urban minority patients. Hepatology. 2010;51:1137-1143.
• Gaglio PJ, Moss N, McGaw C, Reinus J Direct Acting Antiviral Therapy for Hepatitis C; Attitudes Regarding Future Use. Dig Dis Sci. 2011;56:1509-15.
• Gaglio PJ, Marfo K, Chiodo J. Hyponatremia in Cirrhosis and End Stage Liver Disease; Treatment with the Vasopressin V2 Receptor Antagonist Tolvaptan: Dig Dis Sci. 2012 Nov;57(11):2774-8
• Kinkhabwala M, Lindower J, Principe AL, Reinus J, Gaglio PJ. Expedited Liver Allocation in the US: A Critical Analysis. Liver Transplantation 2013;19(10):1159-65
Books, Chapters in Books, Review Articles
• Gaglio PJ and Steinberg SM: Management of acute liver failure. In Sepsis and Multiple OrganDysfunction, Ed. By Deitch, Vincent and Windsor. Harcourt Publishers, London pp. 410-419, 2002.
• Gaglio PJ, Aron J, and Brown RS. Fulminant Hepatic Failure in "Hepatology, A Practical Approach" Editors Al Knawy, Shiffman, and Weisner. Elsevier, NY pg 315-330, 2004
• Gaglio PJ, Brown RS Jr. Complications of Liver Transplantation. in “Zakim and Boyer’s Hepatology, a Textbook of Liver Disease”. 5th Edition. Editors Boyer, Wright, Manns. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA pg 961-974, 2006
• Gaglio, PJ, Brown RS, Scott Cotler. Medical Care of the Liver Transplant Recipient. Up to Date 2010-2015
• Fink S, Gaglio PJ: Hepatitis C in Liver Transplant Patients Current Hepatitis Reports 2008;7:81-87
• Gaglio PJ, Treatment of chronic hepatitis C in a slow responder: a case for extended therapy Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2009;6:372-375
• Gaglio PJ Jr, Gaglio PJ Sr Complications in patients with alcohol-associated liver disease who undergo liver transplantation. Clin Liver Dis. 2012 Nov;16(4):865-75
• Chacko KR, Gaglio PJ. Meet the Classes of Directly Acting Antiviral Agents: Strengths and Weaknesses.Clin Liver Dis. 2015 Nov;19(4):605-17
• Gaglio PJ, Guest Editor: Fatty Liver Disease: Clinics in Liver Disease. In preparation Aug 2015
• Kalia H, Gaglio PJ: The Prevalence and Pathobiology of NAFLD in Patients of Different Races/Ethnicities: Clinics In Liver Disease, in press 3/2016
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov