- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in Surgery at CUMC
Current Administrative Positions
- Director PLATINUM (Pediatric Liver to Adult Transition) - Health Care Transition Program for Liver Transplant Recipients
- Program Director Pediatric Advanced Transplant Hepatology Fellowship
- Core Faculty Member Pediatric Residency Program
- Program Initiator Solid Organ Comprehensive Transition Program
- Intern Academic Advisor, Pediatric Residency Program
Prior to her faculty appointment, Dr. Vittorio earned a degree in Neuroscience from Fairfield University. She completed her medical education, internship and residency at Georgetown University Medical Center. She then went on to pursue a fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition and an Advanced Transplant Hepatology fellowship at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC).
Having completed a dual residency in both internal medicine and pediatrics, Dr. Vittorio has a particular interest and specializes in the transition of adolescent and young adult liver transplant recipients from pediatric to adult health care services. She is the founder and director of the PLATINUM (Pediatric Liver to Adult Transition) Program at CUIMC. This program focuses on the enhancement of self-management behaviors and transition readiness in pediatric liver transplant recipients through a structured, multidisciplinary approach to transition planning.
Her other clinical and research interests include pediatric transplant hepatology and cholestatic liver disease in children. Dr. Vittorio is currently a site primary investigator for global studies examining the role of novel bile acid modulators for children with rare cholestatic liver diseases.
Dr. Vittorio is board certified in Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Pediatric Gastroenterology and Transplant Hepatology.
Education and Training
- MD, 2006 Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Internship: Georgetown University Hospital
- Residency: Georgetown University Hospital
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- (212) 305-3000
Invited Speaker, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) 2017 Care of the Adolescent and Young Adult. Overview of important topics in gastroenterology for the transitioning youth. February 11, 2017.
American College of Clinical Pharmacy Webinar Series Presenter. Health Care Transition in Pediatric Solid Organ Transplantation. August 9, 2018.
Invited Speaker, 4th Annual Peter D. Stevens Course on Innovations in Digestive Care, New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College. Updates in Pediatric Gastroenterology – Autoimmune Hepatitis. April 16, 2015.
Acute Liver Failure Induced by Anakinra. North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) Annual Meeting Case presentation. October 12, 2013.
Serotonin promotes periportal inflammation and fatty infiltration of the liver in a murine model of necrotizing enterocolitis. Studies of Pediatric Liver Transplantation (SPLIT) Annual Meeting Poster presentation. September 26, 2013.
Serotonin promotes periportal inflammation and fatty infiltration of the liver in a murine model of necrotizing enterocolitis. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) Annual Meeting Oral presentation. November 11, 2012.
A Novel Assay to Detect Specific IgE Antibodies to Helicobacter pylori in Serum. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) Annual Meeting poster presentation. February 28, 2010.
A Recurrence of Group A Toxic Shock Syndrome at GUH: Is there ever a good outcome? American College of Physicians (ACP) Podium Presentation. May 9, 2009.
The effects of lesions of the medial septal diagonal band complex and/ or supra mammillary region and its projection on both the hippocampus and the medial septum in regard to working memory. NorthEast Under/Graduate Research Organization for Neuroscience (N.E.U.R.O.N.). April 28, 2001.
The effects of lesions of the medial septal diagonal band complex and/ or supra mammillary region and its projection on both the hippocampus and the medial septum in regard to working memory. Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society poster session. October 4, 2000.
Committees / Societies / Memberships2019 – Present American Society of Transplantation (AST), Liver and Intestinal Community of Practice (LICOP)
2017 – Present Society of Pediatric Liver Transplantation (SPLIT) Member
2012 – Present American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
2010 – Present North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN)
2006 – Present National Med-Peds Residents' Association (NMPRA)
Honors and Awards
- 2020 New York Times Magazine Castle Connolly America’s Most Honored Doctors 2020 – Top 1%
- 2018 – 2020 New York Times Magazine Castle Connolly America’s Top Doctors – Pediatric Gastroenterology
- 2019 New York Times Magazine Castle Connolly Exceptional Women in Medicine Award
- 2018 Fairy Godmother Foundation of New York, INC., Dream Maker Award and Foundation Honoree
- 2015 – 2017 New York Times Magazine Top Doctors Rising Star – Pediatric Gastroenterology
- 2010 – 2011 Fellow of the Year Award, NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital, Columbia University Medical Center
- 2008 – 2009 String of Pearls Resident Teaching Award, Georgetown University Hospital
- Fontan-associated Liver Disease
- Outcomes in pediatric liver transplant recipients after transition to adult health care services
- Pediatric Cholestatic Liver Disease
MRX-502 RANDOMIZED DOUBLE BLIND PLACEBO CONTROLLED PHASE 3 STUDY TO EVAULATE EFFICAY AND SAFETY OF MARALIXIBAT IN THE TREATMENT OF SUBJECTS WITH PROGRESSIVE FAMILIAL INTRAHEPATIC CHOLESTASIS (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jul 17 2019 - Jul 17 2024
AN OPEN-LABEL EXTENSION STUDY TO EVALUATE LONG-TERM EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF A4250 IN CHILDREN WITH PROGRESSIVE FAMILIAL INTRAHEPATIC CHOLESTASIS TYPES 1 AND 2 (PEDFIC 2) (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jun 19 2019 - Jun 19 2024
ADOUBLE-BLIND, RANDOMIZED, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED, PHASE 3 STUDY TO DEMONSTRATE EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF A4250 IN CHILDREN WITH PROGRESSIVE FAMILIAL INTRAHEPATIC CHOLESTASIS TYPES 1 AND 2 (PEDFIC 1) (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Mar 18 2019 - Mar 18 2024
(*indicates senior authorship)
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Chen J, Salerno D, Breslin N, Chowdhury T, Lobritto S, Martinez M, Goldner D, Vittorio J*. Concomitant tacrolimus and ketorolac therapy in pediatric liver transplant recipients: teaching old dogma new tricks. Submitted to Clinical Transplantation.
- Shanmugasundaram S, Gioioso V, Martinez M, Lobritto S, Vittorio J, Goldner D, Griesemer A, Tulin-Silver S. Embolization of a Rare Case of Focal Nodular Hyperplasia in an Adolescent Boy. Submitted to CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology.
- Vittorio J*. 2020. Health Care Transition – A Time of Increased Vulnerability for Pediatric Liver Transplant Recipients. Accepted for publication.
- Heinz N, Griesemer A, Kinney J, Vittorio J, Lagana SM, Goldner D, Velasco M, Kato T, Lobritto S, Martinez M. A case of an Infant with SARS-CoV-2 hepatitis early after liver transplantation [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 19]. Pediatr Transplant. 2020;10.1111/petr.13778. doi:10.1111/petr.13778
- Chen J, Ferreira J, Martinez M, Lobritto S, Goldner D, Vittorio J*. Role of Budesonide for the Treatment of Rejection in Pediatric Liver Transplantation [published online ahead of print, 2020 May 12]. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2020;10.1097/MPG.0000000000002784. doi:10.1097/MPG.0000000000002784
- Vittorio J, Lavine JE. Recent advances in understanding and managing pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. F1000Res. 2020;9:F1000 Faculty Rev-377. Published 2020 May 19. doi:10.12688/f1000research.24198.1
- Vittorio JM and Lavine JE. Role of Exercise in Mitigating Pediatric Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Diabetes Care. 2020 Feb;43(2):280-282. doi: 10.2337/dci19-0029. PubMed PMID: 31959645.
- Valentino PL, Roberts EA, Beer S, Miloh T, Arnon R, Vittorio JM, Schilsky ML. Management of Wilson disease diagnosed in infancy: an appraisal of available experience to generate discussion. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition. 2020 Jan 1. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000002608. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:31899725.
- Mahadeo KM, Bajwa R, Abdel-Azim H, Lehmann LE, Duncan C, Zantek N, Vittorio J, Angelo J, McArthur J, Schadler K, Chan S, Auletta JJ, Choi SW, Shoberu B, Kalwak K, Harden A, Kebriaei P, Abe J, Li S, Roberson Moffet J, Abraham S, Kleinschmidt K, Richardson PG, Corbacioglu S and the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI) Network. Diagnosis, grading, and treatment recommendations for children, adolescents and young adult patients with sinusoidal obstructive syndrome: an international expert position statement. Lancet Haematol. 2020 Jan;7(1):e61-e72. doi: 10.1016/S2352-3026(19)30201-7. Epub 2019 Dec 7. Review. PMID:31818728.
- Lawrence ZE, Martinez M, Lobritto S, Chen J, Breslin N, Fox A, Vittorio J*. Adherence, Medical Outcomes and Health Care Costs in Adolescent/Young Adults following Pediatric Liver Transplantation. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition. 2019 Nov 6. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000002553. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 31703039.
- Vittorio J, Orellana K, Martinez M, Ovchinsky N, Schlossberg P, Griesemer A, Lobritto S. Partial Splenic Embolization is a Safe and Effective Alternative in the Management of Portal Hypertension in Children. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition. 2019 Jun;68(6):793-798. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000002332. PMID: 30908386.
- Goldner D, Vittorio J, Barrios DM, McGuire J, Brodlie S, Brown J, Lobritto S, Martinez M. Bone Fractures in Children with Cholestatic Liver Disease May Mimic Those Seen in Child Abuse. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2019 Jan 21. doi: 10.1097/PEC.0000000000001740. PMID: 30672906.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov