- Associate Professor of Medicine at CUMC
Current Administrative Positions
- Director of the Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Program
Dr. Wattacheril's clinical specialties include all aspects of transplant hepatology, general hepatology and gastroenterology with emphasis on metabolic liver disease and obesity. She specializes in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease as well as all forms of hepatitis, chronic liver disease, and liver cancer in addition to liver transplantation. Her research interests include hepatic steatosis, insulin resistance, gut hormones and metabolic liver disease in adults. Her current research concentrates on the relationship between proteins and lipids that differentiate steatosis from steatohepatitis using an integrated omics approach.
Dr. Wattacheril is an Associate Professor of Medicine and Director of the Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) Program in the Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation. Her primary Translational science interests include: 1) investigating the relationship between lipids and proteins within the context of the development and progression of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, 2) optimizing the clinical care of patients with NAFLD pre and post-transplantation, 3) understanding the relationship between NAFLD and hepatocellular carcinoma and 4) enhancing the care of liver disease patients using genomics and electronic health record phenotyping. She mentors several residents and gastroenterology fellows in addition to computational geneticists, nurse practitioners, dietitians, and anyone interested in enhancing the integrated knowledge and care for patients with chronic liver disease.
Education and Training
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency: Baylor Hospital
- Fellowship: Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- The Tipping Point in NASH: Detecting Hepatic Lipid Differences in their Microenvironment using Matri Imaging Mass Spectrometry (MALDI- IMS); AASLD poster presentation 2011, San Francisco, CA
- Lagtimes in diagnosis and treatment of colorectal cancer: determinants and association with cancers DDW oral presentation 2008, San Diego, CA
- Gastroduodenal Melanosis: A Case Report and Review, presented at Baylor College of Medicine Research Symposium, 2006, Houston, TX
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (including non-alcoholic steatohepatitis)
- Transplant hepatology
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Metabolic liver diseases
- Lipid metabolism
- Insulin resistance
A PHASE 3, DOUBLE-BLIND, RANDOMIZED, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED, MULTICENTER STUDY TO EVALUATE THE EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF OBETICHOLIC ACID IN SUBJECTS WITH COMPENSATED CIRRHOSIS DUE TO NONALCOHOLIC STEATOHEPATITIS (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jul 3 2018 - Jul 3 2023
IDENTIFICATION OF POTENTIAL TARGETS AND FUNCTIONAL VARIANTS FOR NONALCOHOLIC FATTY LIVER DISEASE (NAFLD) BY INTEGRATING GENOMICS, TRANSCRIPTOMICS AND ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORD PHENOTYPING IN OBESE PATIENTS WITH NAFLD AND OBESE CONTROLS (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Nov 1 2017 - Nov 1 2022
A PHASE 2, PROSPECTIVE, MULTICENTER, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE-BLIND, PLACEBOCONTROLLED STUDY TO EVALUATE SAFETY, TOLERABILITY AND EFFICACY OF SAROGLITAZAR MAGNESIUM IN PATIENTS WITH PRIMARY BILIARY CHOLANGITIS (EPICS) (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Aug 3 2017 - Aug 3 2022
PHASE 2 DOUBLE-BLIND,RANDOMIZED,PLACEBO-CONTROLLED,DOSE-FINDING STUDY TO EVALUATE SAFETY,TOLERABILITY & EFFICACY OF VOLIXIBAT POTASSIUM,AN APICAL SODIUM-DEPENDENT BILE ACID TRANSPORTER INHIBITOR(ASBTI) IN ADULTS WITH NONALCOHOLIC STEATOHEPATITIS(NASH) (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
May 11 2017 - May 11 2022
COLUMBIA/CORNELL/HARLEM HOSPITAL PRECISION MEDICINE INITIATIVE HPO (Federal Gov)
Jul 6 2016 - Dec 31 2021
CLINICAL RESEARCH ON NONALCOHOLIC FATTY LIVER DISEASE (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2014 - Jun 30 2020
A PHASE 2B, DOSE RANGING, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE- BLIND, PLACEBO- CONTROLLED TRIAL EVALUATING THE SAFETY AND EFFICACY OF GS 6624, A MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY AGAINST LYSYL OXIDASE LIKE 2 (LOXL2), IN SUBJECTS WITH COMPENSATED CIRRHOSIS SECONDARY (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jan 14 2014 - Jan 14 2019
A PHASE 2B, DOSE RANGING, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE BLIND, PLACEBO- CONTROLLED TRIAL EVALUATING THE SAFETY AND EFFICACY OF GS 6624, A MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY AGAINST LYSYL OXIDASE- LIKE 2 (LOXL2), IN SUBJECTS WITH ADVANCED LIVER FIBROSIS BUT NOT CIRRHOSIS SECONDARY (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jan 14 2014 - Jan 14 2019
- Phipps M, Livanos A, Guo A, Pomenti S, Yeh J, Dakhoul L, Burney H, Kettler C, Liu H, Miller E, Gawrieh S, DeLemos A, Scanga A, Chalasani N, Wattacheril J. "Gender Matters: Characteristics of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Women from a Large, Multicenter Study in the United States." Accepted for publication in American Journal of Gastroenterology.
- Wattacheril J. Extrahepatic Manifestations of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2020 Mar;49(1):141-149. PMID: 32033760 Gawrieh S, Dakhoul L, Miller E, Scanga A, deLemos A, Kettler C, Burney H, Liu H, Abu-Sbeih H, Chalasani N, Wattacheril J. Characteristics, aetiologies and trends of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients without cirrhosis: a United States multicentre study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2019; 50(7):809-821. PMID: 31475372
- Wattacheril J, Issa D, Sanyal A. Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) and Hepatic Fibrosis: Emerging Therapies. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2017 Oct 20. doi: 10.1146/annurev-pharmtox-010617-052545.
- Wattacheril J, Lavine JE, Chalasani NP, Guo X, Kwon S, Schwimmer J, Molleston JP, Loomba R, Brunt EM, Chen YI, Goodarzi MO, Taylor KD, Yates KP, Tonascia J, Rotter JI. Genome Wide Associations Related to Hepatic Histology in Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Hispanic Boys. J Pediatr. 2017 Sep 14.
- Issa D, Wattacheril J, Sanyal AJ. Treatment options for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis – a safety evaluation. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2017 Jul 6:1-11. doi:10.1080/14740338.2017.1343299.
- Corey KE, Gawrieh S, deLemos AS, Zheng H, Scanga AE, Haglund JW, Sanchez J, Danford CJ, Comerford M, Bossi K, Munir S, Chalasani N, Wattacheril J. Risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis due to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A multicenter, case-control study. World J Hepatol 2017; 9(7): 385-390
- Wattacheril, J, Rose, K. L., Hill, S., Lanciault, C., Murray, C. R., Washington, K., Williams, B., English, W., Spann, M., Clements, R., Abumrad, N., and Flynn, C. R. (2017) NAFLD Phosphoproteomics: A Functional Piece of the Precision Puzzle. Hepatol Res, doi: 10.1111/hepr.12885.
- Wattacheril J, Sanyal AJ. Lean NAFLD: An Underrecognized Outlier. Curt Hepatol Rep. 2016 Jun;15(2):134-139, Epub 2016 Apr 14. PMID: 27668144
- Guo Y, Xiong Y, Sheng Q, Zhao S, Wattacheril J, Flynn CR. A micro-RNA expression signature for human NAFLD progression. J Gastroenterol. 2016 Feb 13.
- Wattacheril, Julia and Joseph Awad. “Acute Management of Portal Hypertensive Bleeding” Jarnagin & Blumgart: Blumgart's Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas 5/e, 2012, 2016
- Garcia A, Kasim N, Gonzalez, R, Antoun J, Eckert E, Marks P, Wattacheril J, Abumrad N, Tamboli R, Walle T, Dunn J, Flynn CR. Lipoprotein Profiles in Class III Obese Caucasian and African American Women with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. PLoS One. 2015 Nov 23;10(11):e0142676. dos: 10.1371/journal.pone.0142676
- Sharifnia T, Antoun J, Suarez G, Wattacheril J, Wilson K, Peek RM, Abumrad N, and Flynn CF. Hepatic TLR4 Signaling in Obese NAFLD. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2015 Aug 15;309(4):G270-8. doi: 10.1152/ajpgi.00304.2014
- Wattacheril J, Seeley EH, Angel P, Chen H, Bowen BP, et al. (2013) Differential Intrahepatic Phospholipid Zonation in Simple Steatosis and Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis. PLoS ONE 8(2): e57165. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0057165
- Wattacheril, J. and Chalasani, N. (2012), Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD): Is it really a serious condition?. Hepatology, 56: 1580–1584. doi: 10.1002/hep.26031
- Wattacheril, J. and Chalasani, N. (2012), Management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Role of bariatric surgery. Clinical Liver Disease, 1: 118–120. doi: 10.1002/cld.80
- Wattacheril, J and Brown, RS. “Living Donor Transplantation for Adult Acute Liver Failure”, Controversies in Hepatology: The Experts Analyze Both Sides. Editor: Donald Jensen. Thorofare, New Jersey, Slack Inc, 2011. ISBN: 13 978-1-55642-950-7
- Hajri, Tahar, Huan Tao, Julia Wattacheril, Pamela Marks-Shulman and Naji Abumrad. Regulation of adiponectin production by insulin: Interactions with tumor necrosis factor-α and interleukin 6. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2011 Feb 300(2): E350–E360. PMID: 21062957.
- Abumrad NN, Breitman I, Wattacheril J, Hubbard WJ, Chaudry IH. “Metabolic and Inflammatory Responses in Trauma and Infection”, Mastery of Surgery sixth edition, Joseph E. Fischer (editor), 2011, pp. 1-25
- Saliba J, Wattacheril J, Abumrad NN (2009) Endocrine and metabolic response to gastric bypass. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care, 12:515-21. Review. PMID: 19535977
- Wattacheril J, Kramer JR, Richardson P, Havemann BD, Green LK, Le A, El-Serag HB (2008). Lagtimes in diagnosis and treatment of colorectal cancer: determinants and association with cancer stage and survival. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 28:1166-74. PMID: 18691351.