- Calvin F. Barber Professor of Surgery
Current Administrative Positions
- Chief, Adult Cardiac Surgery Section, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia
- Director, Thoracic Surgery Residency Program
- Director, Minimally Invasive and Robotic Cardiac Surgery
- Director, Surgical Arrhythmia Program
Michael Argenziano, MD, FACS, is the chief of adult cardiac surgery, director of the Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery and Surgical Arrhythmia programs at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, professor of surgery at Columbia University Medical Center, director of the Cardiothoracic Surgery Research Laboratory and Clinical Research Program, and program director of the Thoracic Surgery Residency program. Dr. Argenziano received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and completed his postgraduate training at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. Argenziano is board certified in Surgery and Thoracic Surgery. He is the immediate past president of the New York Society for Thoracic Surgery. He has authored more than 100 publications, presented at numerous scientific conferences, and received several grants and awards for his research. He has led two national trials of robotic surgery, and his atrial fibrillation research has been supported by the TSFRE's Career Development Award. He currently serves as Columbia's principal investigator in the NIH/NHLBI Network for Cardiothoracic Surgical Investigations.
Education and Training
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- 1992 Columbia University College of Physician & Surgeon
- MD Doctor of Medicine , 1992 NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- Internship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Internship: 1993 NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Residency: 1995 NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical C
- Residency: 1998 NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Fellowship: 1996 NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical C
- Fellowship: 2000 NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Committees / Societies / Memberships
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- New York Society for Thoracic Surgery
- American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular Surgery
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- American Medical Association
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- Thoracic Surgery Directors Association
- ISHLT Scientific Council on Heart Failure and Transplant Medicine
- Columbia College Alumni Representative Committee
- Education Committee, American Association for Thoracic Surgery
- Workforce on Adult Cardiac Surgery, Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Workforce on Annual Meeting (Tech-con), Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Honors and Awards
- 2015-2016: New York Magazine's Top Doctors
- 2011: Young Heart Award for Achievement in Cardiovascular Science & Medicine, American Heart Association
- 2011-2012: Educational Simulation Research Grant, Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education
- 2010-2011: President, New York Society for Thoracic Surgery
- 2009: Physician of the Year, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia Department of Surgery
- 2007-2012: Executive Council, New York Society for Thoracic Surgery
- 2007-2010: Career Development Award, Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education
- 2007-2012: Principal Site Investigator, National Institutes of Health U01 Network Grant. "Network for Cardiothoracic Surgical Investigations"
- 2004: Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- 2002: "Best Oral Presentation" Award at the Scientific Sessions of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, New York. Title of Presentation: "A totally endoscopic, beating heart approach to pulmonary vein isolation for the treatment of atrial fibrillation."
- 1996-1998: Blakemore Award for Excellence in Surgical Research, Columbia University Medical Center
- 1996: Claire-Lucille Pace Humanitarian Award (Healing the Children Guatemala Heart Surgery Team)
- 1992: Allen O. Whipple Prize for Excellence in Surgery, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- 1992: Sandoz Award for Excellence in Research, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- 1992: Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Heart transplantation and mechanical assistance
- Minimally invasive cardiac surgery
- Thoracic surgery education/simulation
- Treatment of atrial fibrillation
APHASE 1/2 TRIAL OF DIRECT ADMINISTRATION OF ADVEGF-ALL6A+, A REPLICATION DEFICIENT ADENOVIRUS VECTOR EXPRESSING A CDNA/GENOMIC HYBRID OF HUMAN VASCULAR ENDOTHELIAL GROWTH FACTOR, TO THE ISCHEMIC MYOCARDIUM OF SUBJECTS WITH ANGINA PECTORIS (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jan 17 2020 - Jan 17 2025
ARANDOMIZED, DOUBLE-BLIND, PLACEBO CONTROLLED, PHASE 3 STUDY TO EVALUATE THE EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF QPI-1002 FOR THE PREVENTION OF MAJOR ADVERSE KIDNEY EVENTS (MAKE) IN SUBJECTS AT HIGHRISK FOR ACUTE KIDNEY INJURY (AKI) FOLLOWING CARDIAC SURGERY (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jul 16 2018 - Jul 16 2023
AMULTI-CENTER, RANDOMIZED, WITHIN-SUBJECT-CONTROLLED, OPEN LABEL STUDY OF THE SAFETY AND EFFECTIVENESS OF VEST, VENOUS EXTERNAL SUPPORT (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Mar 6 2018 - Mar 6 2023
CYTOSORB? REDUCTION OF FREE HEMOGLOBIN/ACUTE KIDNEY INJURY (AKI) DURING CARDIAC SURGERY (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Feb 12 2018 - Feb 12 2023
ANTICOAGULATION FOR NEW-ONSET POST-OPERATIVE ATRIAL FIBRILLATION AFTER CABG (Federal Gov)
Apr 12 2019 - Feb 28 2021
EVALUATION OF OUTCOMES FOLLOWING MITRAL VALVE REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IN SEVERE CHRONIC ISCHEMIC MITRAL REGURGITATION (Federal Gov)
Apr 12 2019 - Feb 29 2020
ADOUBLE-BLIND, RANDOMIZED, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED STUDY OF LEVOSIMENDAN IN PATIENTS WITH LEFT VENTRICULAR SYSTOLIC DYSFUNCTION UNDERGOING CARDIAC SURGERY (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Sep 8 2014 - Sep 8 2019
EVALUATING THE BENEFIT OF CONCURRENT TRICUSPID VALVE REPAIR DURING MITRAL SURGERY (Federal Gov)
Jan 1 2016 - Mar 31 2019
CTSN:LONG-TERM FOLLOW-UP FOR PARTICIPANTS OF: EVALUATION OF OUTCOMES FOLLOWING MITRAL VALVE REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IN SEVERE CHRONIC ISCHEMIC MITRAL REGURGITATION (SMR) AND SURGICAL INTERVENTIONS FOR MODE (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2018 - Mar 31 2019
HYBRID CORONARY REVASCULARIZATION TRIAL (Federal Gov)
Jul 15 2016 - Jun 30 2017
NETWORK FOR CARDIOTHORACIC SURGICAL INVESTIGATIONS IN CARDIOVASCULAR MEDICINE:NEUROPROTECTION IN PATIENTS UNDERGOING AORTIC VALVE REPLAEMENT (Federal Gov)
Dec 15 2014 - Mar 31 2017
CARDIOTHORACIC FELLOWSHIP FOR LAURA GUGLIELMETTI (Private)
Nov 3 2014 - Nov 2 2015
CARDIOTHORACIC FELLOWSHIP (Private)
Jul 1 2014 - Jun 30 2015
NETWORK FOR CARDIOTHORACIC SURGICAL INVESTIGATIONS IN CARDIOVASCULAR MEDICINE (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 2007 - Jan 31 2015
CARDIOTHORACIC FELLOWSHIP FOR DR. YEREBAKAN (Private)
Jul 1 2013 - Jun 30 2014
CARDIOTHORACIC FELLOWSHIP FOR DR. NAJJAR (Private)
Jul 1 2013 - Jun 30 2014
RATE CONTROL VERSUS RHYTHM CONTROL FOR POSTOPERATIVE ATRIAL FIBRILLATION (Federal Gov)
Feb 1 2014 - Feb 2 2014
BIVENTRICULAR PACING AFTER CARDIOPULMONARY BYPASS (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2007 - Mar 31 2013
HYBRID REVASCULARIZATION VERSUS PERCUTANEOUS CORONARY INTERVENTION: A PLANNING GRANT (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2009 - Aug 31 2012
HYBRID REVASCULARIZATION PLANNING GRANT SUB FROM MSSM (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2009 - Aug 31 2012
THETASK-1 CHANNEL IN ATRIAL FIBRILLATION, A POTENTIAL THERA PEUTIC TARGET (Private)
Jul 1 2011 - Jun 30 2012
- Iribarne A, Russo MJ, Easterwood R, Hong KN, Yang J, Cheema FH, Smith CR, Argenziano M. "Minimally invasive versus sternotomy approach for mitral valve surgery: a propensity analysis." Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2011.
- Iribarne A, Karpenko A, Russo MJ, Cheema FH, Umann T, Oz MC, Smith C, Argenziano M. "Eight year experience with minimally invasive cardiothoracic surgery." World J Surg. 2010 Apr;34(4):611-5.
- Russo MJ, Martens TP, Hong KN, Colman DL, Voleti VB, Smith CR Jr, Argenziano M. Minimally invasive versus standard approach for excision of atrial masses. Heart Surg Forum. 2007;10(1):E50-54.
- Ben-Gal Y, Stone GW, Smith CR, Genereux P, Weisz G, Williams MR, Argenziano M. "On-Pump versus Off-Pump Surgical Revascularization in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes: Analysis from the ACUITY Trial." Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2010.
- Iribarne A, Easterwood R, Russo MJ, Yang J, Cheema FH, Smith CR, Argenziano M. "Long term outcomes with a minimally invasive approach for resection of cardiac masses." Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2010; 90(4):1251-55.
- Hong KN, Russo MJ, Williams MR, Abbasi A, Sorabella R, Martens TP, Smith CR Jr, Oz MC, Argenziano M. "Patient-specific characteristics determine success of surgical atrial fibrillation ablation in patients with persistent atrial fibrillation." Heart Surg Forum. 2007;10(6):E468-72.
- Argenziano M, Skipper E, Heimansohn D, Letsou G, Woo YJ, Kron I, Alexander J, Cleveland J, Kong B, Davidson M, Vassiliades T, Krieger K, Sako E, Tibi P, Galloway A, Foster E, Feldman T, and Glower D; for the EVEREST Investigators. "Surgical revision after percutaneous mitral repair with the MitraClip device." Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Jan:89(1):72-80.
- Topkara VK, Williams MR, Cheema FH, Vigilance DW, Garrido MJ, Russo MJ, Oz MC, Argenziano M. Surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation: the Columbia Presbyterian experience. J Card Surg. 2006;21(5):441-448.
- Argenziano M, Katz M, Bonatti J, Srivastava S, Murphy D, Poirier R, Loulmet D, Siwek L, Kreaden U, Ligon D, for the TECAB Trial Investigators. Results of the prospective multicenter trial of robotically assisted totally endoscopic coronary artery bypass grafting. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;81:1666-1675.
- Morgan JA, Thornton BA, Peacock JC, Hollingsworth KW, Smith CR, Oz MC, Argenziano M. Does robotic technology make minimally invasive cardiac surgery too expensive? A hospital cost analysis of robotic and conventional techniques. J Card Surg. 2005 May-Jun;20(3):246-251.
- Nifong LW, Chitwood WR, Pappas PS, Smith CR, Argenziano M, Starnes VA, Shah PM. Robotic mitral valve surgery: a United States multicenter trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005 Jun;129(6):1395-1404.
- Bisleri G, Vigilance DW, Morgan JA, Argenziano M. Efficacy of the "box" lesion pattern for the treatment of atrial fibrillation in presence of mitral valve disease. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004 May;77(5):1879-1880; author reply 1880.
- Williams MR, Garrido M, Oz MC, Argenziano M. Alternative energy sources for surgical atrial ablation. J Card Surg. 2004 May-Jun;19(3):201-206.
- Morgan JA, Morales DL, Ginsburg ME, Kherani AR, Vigilance DW, Cheema FH, Smith CR, Oz MC, Argenziano M. Endoscopic, robotically assisted implantation of phrenic pacemakers. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003;126(2):582-3.
- Argenziano M, Oz MC, Kohmoto T, Morgan J, Dimitui J, Mongero L, Beck J, Smith CR. "Totally Endoscopic Atrial Septal Defect Repair With Robotic Assistance" Circulation. 2003 Sep 9;108 (Suppl II):II-191-II-194.
- Oz MC, Argenziano M, eds. "Left ventricular assist devices." Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, 2000;43(1).
- Argenziano M, Spotnitz HM, Bigger JT Jr., Whang W, Parides M, Rose EA. "Risk stratification for coronary bypass surgery in patients with left ventricular dysfunction: analysis of the Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Patch Trial database." Circulation 1999;100(suppl II):II-119-II-124.
- Cheema FH, Argenziano M. "Robotic ASD Repair." Robotic Cardiothoracic Surgery: Atlas and Guide. Chitwood RW, Kernstine K, editors. Springer, NY, 2010.
- Argenziano M. "Robotically-assisted open heart surgery." Robotic Surgery, Gharagozloo F and Najam F, eds. McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
- Mongero LB, Beck JR, eds. "On Bypass: Advanced Perfusion Techniques." Current Cardiac Surgery Series, Argenziano M, Oz MC, series editors. Humana Press, New York, 2008.
- Argenziano M, editor. "Surgery for Atrial Fibrillation." Special Issue of the Journal of Cardiac Surgery, April 2003.
- Argenziano M and Williams M. "Robotic ASD repair and endoscopic treatment of atrial fibrillation." In: Seminars in Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery: Robotic Cardiac Surgery, F Mohr and V Falk, eds., 2003.
- Argenziano M and Ginsburg ME, editors. "Lung volume reduction surgery." Humana Press, Inc., 2002.
- Williams MR, Argenziano M. "Less Invasive Surgical Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation." In: Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, DJ Goldstein and MC Oz, eds. Futura Publishing Co., Inc., 2002.
- Argenziano M. "Totally endoscopic open-heart surgery." In: Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, DJ Goldstein and MC Oz, eds. Futura Publishing Co., Inc., 2002.
- Argenziano M, Rose EA. "Exploiting our understanding of pathogenetic mechanisms in developing surgical interventions." In: Pathogenetic basis of myocardial diseases, R. Virmani and J Willerson, eds. (2002).
- Oz MC, Argenziano M, editors. "Left ventricular assist devices." Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, 2000;43(1).
- Argenziano M, Oz MC, Rose EA. "The continuing evolution of mechanical cardiac assistance." Current Problems in Surgery, 1997;34(4):317-388.