- Sudhir Choudhrie Associate Professor of Cardiology (in Medicine) at the Columbia University Medical Center
Current Administrative Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician, Center for Advanced Cardiac Care
- Assistant Attending Physician, Coronary Care Unit
- Medical Director Mechanical of the Circulatory Support Program
- Director, Center for Advanced Cardiac Care
This provider accepts new patients
Paolo C. Colombo is a cardiologist who specialized in treating patients with heart failure, cardiac assist device and heart transplant. Dr. Colombo is board certified in Cardiovascular Disease and in Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology.
Dr. Colombo received his medical degree, magna cum laude from the University of Milan in Italy. He completed his internal medicine residency and fellowship at Montefiore Medical Center, the university hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. He then specialized in heart failure and transplant at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center in New York.
Dr. Colombo has been on ColumbiaDoctors faculty since 2002. He is the Sudhir Choudhrie Professor of Cardiology and serves as the Director of the Center for Advanced Cardiac: Heart Failure, Heart Transplant and Mechanical Circulatory Support.
An internationally renowned investigator, Dr. Colombo has been awarded research grants from the National Institutes of Health, American Heart Association as well as other research foundations. Dr. Colombo has published more than 160 manuscripts and presented his research all over the world.
Dr. Colombo sees patients at Columbia University Medical Center in Washington Heights.
- Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
- Cardiovascular Disease
Areas of Expertise
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Heart Failure
- Heart Transplant Management
- Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD)
- Mechanical Assist Device
Education and Training
- University of Milan Faculty of Medicine and Surgery (Italy)
- Residency: Montefiore Medical Center
- Fellowship: Montefiore Medical Center
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
CUMC/Vivian & Seymour Milstein Family Heart Center173 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 305-9264
- (212) 305-9264
- (212) 305-2591
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NYP Employee Plan, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- Affinity [Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- AgeWell [Medicare Managed Care, Special Needs Plan]
- Amida Care [Special Needs Plan]
- Capital District Physician Health Plan [Capital District Physician Health Plan]
- Cigna [EPO, Great West, HMO, POS, PPO]
- Elderplan [Medicare Managed Care]
- Emblem/GHI [Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO, Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HealthPlus [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Healthfirst [Child/Family Health Plus, Leaf (Exchange), Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Local 1199 [Local 1199]
- MagnaCare [MagnaCare]
- Medicare [Traditional Medicare (NY)]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- MVP Health Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty]
- UnitedHealthcare [Columbia University Employee Plan, Compass (Exchange), HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
- VNSNY CHOICE [Medicare Managed Care, SelectHealth, Special Needs Plan]
- WellCare [Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications (selected from 96)
- Colombo PC, Ashton AW, Celaj S, Talreja A, Banchs JE, DuBois NB, Marinaccio M, Malla S, Lachmann J, Ware JA, Le Jemtel TH. Biopsy Coupled to Quantitative Immunofluorescence: a New Method to Study the Human Vascular Endothelium. J Appl Physiol 92:1331-8, 2002
- Colombo PC, Banchs JE, Lachmann J, Malla S, Celaj S, Nicholas B. DuBois NB, Talreja A, Ashton AW, Jorde UP, Ware JA, Le Jemtel TH. Vascular Endothelial Cell Activation in Patients With Decompensated Heart Failure. Response to Short-Term Inotropic Therapy. Circulation 111:58-62, 2005
- Onat D, Jelic J, Schmidt AM , Pile-Spellman J, Homma S, Padeletti M, Jin Z, Le Jemtel TH, Colombo PC* & Feng L* (*Senior Authors). Vascular Endothelial Sampling and Analysis of Gene Transcripts: a New Quantitative Approach to Monitor Vascular Inflammation. J Applied Physiol 103:1873-8, 2007
- Vittorio T, Zolty R, Parveen K, Garg PK, Sarswat N, Tseng CH, , Jorde UP, Colombo PC. Interdependence of Cardiac and Endothelial Function in Patients with Chronic Heart Failure on Optimal Medical Therapy. Echocardiography 26:916-21,2009
- Dini FL, Demmer RT, Simionuc A , Donati F, Dell'Anna R, Orsini E, Caravelli P, Marzilli M, Colombo PC. Right Ventricular Function Predicts Chronic Kidney Disease and Survival in Patients With Chronic Systolic Heart Failure. Eur J Heart Fail 14:287-94, 2012
- Uriel N, Morrison KA, Garan AR, Kato TS, Yuzefpolskaya M, Latif F, Restaino SW, Mancini DM, Flannery M, Takayama H, John R, Colombo PC, Naka Y, Jorde UP. Development of a Novel Echocardiography Ramp Test for Speed Optimization and Diagnosis of Device Thrombosis in Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Devices: The Columbia Ramp Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 60:1764-75, 2012
- Garan AR, Yuzefpolskaya M, Colombo PC, Morrow JP, Te-Frey R, Dano D, Takayama H, Naka Y, Garan H, Jorde UP, Uriel N. Ventricular Arrhythmias and ICD therapy in Patients with Continuous Flow Left Ventricular Assist Devices: Need for Primary Prevention? J Am Coll Cardiol. 61:2542-50, 2013.
- Lanier G, Orlanes K, Hayashi Y, Murphy J, Flannery M, Te-Frey R, Uriel U, Yuzefpolskaya M, Mancini DM, Naka Y, Takayama H, Jorde UP, Demmer RT, Colombo PC. Validity and Reliability of a Novel Slow Cuff-Deflation System for Non-Invasive Blood Pressure Monitoring in Patients with Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Device. Circ Heart Fail 6:1005-12, 2013.
- Ota T, Yerebakan H, Akashi H, Takayama H, Uriel N, Colombo PC, Jorde UP, Naka Y. Continuous-flow left ventricular assist device exchange: Clinical outcomes. J Heart Lung Transplant. S1053-2498:01343-0, 2013.
- Uriel N, Han J, Morrison KA, Nahumi N, Yuzefpolskaya M, Garan AR, Duong J, Colombo PC, Takayama H, Thomas S, Naka Y, Jorde UP. Device thrombosis in HeartMate II continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices: A multifactorial phenomenon.. J Heart Lung Transplant. 33:51-9, 2014.
- Colombo PC, Onat D, Harxhi A, Demmer RT, Hayashi Y, Jelic S, LeJemtel TH, Bucciarelli L, Kebschull M, Papapanou P, Uriel N, Schmidt AM, Sabbah HN, Jorde UP. Peripheral Venous Congestion Causes Inflammation, Neurohormonal and Endothelial Cell Activation. Eur Heart J. 35:448-54, 2014.
Colombo PC, Doran AC, Onat D, Wong KY, Ahmad M, Sabbah HN, Demmer RT. Venous Congestion, Endothelial and Neurohormonal Activation in Acute Decompensated Heart Failure: Cause or Effect? Curr Heart Fail Rep. 12(3):215-22, 201
Yuzefpolskaya M, Uriel N, Flannery M, Yip N, Mody K, Cagliostro B, Takayama H, Naka Y, Jorde UP, Goswami S, Colombo PC. Advanced cardiovascular life support algorithm for the management of the hospitalized unresponsive patient on continuous flow left ventricular assist device support outside the intensive care unit. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care. [Epub ahead of print] 2015.
Mancini DM, Colombo PC. Left Ventricular Assist Devices: A Rapidly Evolving Alternative to Transplant. J Am Coll Cardiol. 65:2542-2555, 2015.
Colombo PC, Lanier GM, Orlanes K, Yuzefpolskaya M, Demmer RT. Usefulness of a standard automated blood pressure monitor in patients with continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices. J Heart Lung Transplant. S1053-2498, 2015.
Willey JZ, Boehme AK, Castagna F, Yuzefpolskaya M, Garan AR, Topkara V, Colombo PC. Hypertension and Stroke in Patients with Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVADs). Curr Hypertens Rep. 18:12, 2016.
Willey JZ, Gavalas MV, Yuzefpolskaya M, Garan AR, Levin AP, Takeda K, MD, PhD3; Takayama H, Fried J, Naka Y, Topkara VK, Colombo PC. Outcomes after stroke complicating left ventricular assist device. J Heart Lung Transplant. 35: 1003-9, 2016.
Myocardial Recovery in Patients Receiving Contemporary Left Ventricular Assist Devices: Results From the Interagency Registry for Mechanically Assisted Circulatory Support (INTERMACS). Topkara VK, Garan AR, Fine B, Godier-FurnÃ©mont AF, Breskin A, Cagliostro B, Yuzefpolskaya M, Takeda K, Takayama H, Mancini DM, Naka Y, Colombo PC. Circ Heart Fail. 9(7), 2016.
Gavalas MV, Breskin A, Yuzefpolskaya M, Eisenberger A, Castagna F, Demmer RT, Flannery M, Garan AR, Takeda K, Takayama H, Naka Y, Topkara VK, Colombo PC. Discriminatory performance of positive urine hemoglobin for detection of significant hemolysis in patients with continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 [Epub ahead of print]
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov